In the music industry, it’s often a case of what goes around, comes around. What’s old is new again and yesterday’s hits become today’s classics. Sampling music has long been a staple of the hip hop scene, but not many people realise that it’s a practice commonly used in all styles of music. Some of today’s biggest hits use samples from obscure songs of yesteryear, while other tracks, like Jonas Blue’s ‘Fast Car’, are covers of original hits.
In this playlist, we explore some hit songs and uncover the original ones they sampled. From Drake and Rihanna to Robbie Williams and Beyoncé, you’ll hear the classics that inspired the stars of today.
1. Courtney Barnett ‘Untogether’ covered Belly’s ‘Untogether’
2. Jonas Blue ‘Fast Car’ covered Tracey Chapman’s ‘Fast Car’
3. Rihanna / DJ Khaled ‘ Wild Thoughts’ sampled Santana’s ‘Maria Maria’
4. Selena Gomez ‘Bad Liar’ sampled Talking Heads’ ‘Psycho Killer’
5. Mokita ‘Goodbye’ sampled Third Eye Blind’s ‘Semi-Charmed Life’
6. Drake ‘Hotline Bling’ sampled Timmy Thomas’ ‘Why Can’t We Live Together’
7. Beyonce ‘Crazy In Love’ sampled The Chi-Lites ‘Are You My Woman’
8. Robin Williams ‘Rock DJ’ sampled Barry White’s ‘It’s Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next To Me’
To learn more about your hearing health, book a free hearing test.
NHC blog is our place to explore ideas and themes of interest. For professional audiology advice, please contact your local clinic for a consultation.