Regular cleaning and maintenance can extend the life of your hearing aids ensuring you are capturing all the sounds of life every single day. Your Audiologist or Audiometrist will show you how to care for your hearing aids and will provide any ongoing support and advice that you may need.
Here are some simple tips to ensure you are listening at the maximum performance level:
- Keep your fingers clean – Ensure your fingers are clean and dry before touching your hearing aid. The microphone is very small and can easily become blocked.
- Moisture protection – Always take your hearing aids out before having a shower, bath or going swimming. It’s best to leave your hearing aids out of humid environments e.g. bathroom. Moisture can damage the electronic components in your hearing aid. Your Audiologist or Audiometrist will advise you to remove the battery overnight, leaving the battery compartment open. A specific dehumidifier should be used regularly.
- Avoid contact with sprays and makeup – Fine particle of hair sprays, body sprays and makeup can block the microphone and controls. Ensure you have removed your hearing aids prior to using these types of products.
- Taking care of your hearing aids – You will need to ensure your hearing aids are clean and free of ear wax at all times. If you are cleaning your hearing aids, use a dry, soft cloth. Hearing aid care products are available through your Audiologist and Audiometrists. They will also check for ear wax build up and the general working order of your hearing aid.
- Repairs – If you are concerned that your hearing aid may need a repair, you will need to contact your local National Hearing Care Audiologist or Audiometrist for further support and advice. It’s important to look after the sensitive technology inside your device.